As Obama launches into his first months of leading our nation, I find it absolutely stunning the way Obama has been received initially as compared to how Bush was received eight years ago. An email I received contrasting Obama’s inauguration to Bush’s highlights some of the difference between the two major parties.
Jan. 21, 2009
1. Outgoing President George W. Bush quietly boards his helicopter and
leaves for Texas , commenting only: “Today is not about me. Today is a historical day for our nation and people.”
Eight years ago yesterday:
1. Outgoing President Bill Clinton schedules two separate radio addresses to the nation, and organizes a public farewell speech/rally in downtown Washington D.C. scheduled to directly conflict with incoming President Bush’s inauguration ceremony.
2. President Bush leaves office without issuing a single Presidential
pardon, only granting a commutation of sentence to two former border patrol agents convicted of shooting a convicted drug smuggler. He does not grant any type of clemency to Scooter Libby or any other former political aide, ally, or business partner.
Eight years ago yesterday:
2. President Clinton issues 140 pardons and several commutations of sentence on his final day in office. Included in these are: billionaire financier, convicted tax evader, and leading Democratic campaign contributor Marc Rich; Whitewater scandal figure Susan McDougal; Congressional Post Office Scandal figure and former Democratic Congressman Dan Rostenkowski; convicted bank fraud, sexual assault and child porn perpetrator and former Democratic Congressman Melvin Reynolds; and convicted drug felon Roger Clinton, the President’s half-brother.
3. The Bush daughters leave gift baskets in the White House bedrooms for the Obama daughters, containing flowers, candy, stuffed animals, DVD’s and CD’s, and heartfelt notes of encouragement and advice for the young girls on how to prepare for their new lives in the White House.
Eight years ago Yesterday:
3. Clinton and Gore staffers rip computer wires and electrical outlets from the White House walls, stuff piles of notebook papers into the White House toilets, systematically remove the letter “W” from every computer key-pad in the entire White House, and damage several thousand dollars worth of furniture in the White House master bedroom.
Headlines On This Date 4 Years Ago:
“Republicans spending $42 million on inauguration while troops Die in
“Bush extravagance exceeds any reason during tough economic times”
“Fat cats get their $42 million inauguration party, Ordinary Americans get the shaft”
“Historic Obama Inauguration will cost only $170 million”
“Obama Spends $170 million on inauguration; America Needs A Big Party”
“Everyman Obama shows America how to celebrate”
“Citibank executives contribute $8 million to Obama Inauguration”
Now, granted, this was an email which does not cite its sources, so take it with a grain of salt. But that aside, it makes a valid point. Even if none of the information in the above email is true, this I know. No one booed the impeached Bill Clinton on Bush’s inauguration day. I guess it just highlights the difference in maturity between the two camps in American politics.